Phonics is a systematic method for learning based on a range of Sounds, and sight words learning guidance focuses on increasing a child’s familiarity with the words that are encountered frequently.
- Being able to read is the most important skill children will learn during their early schooling.
- Far-reaching implications for lifelong confidence and well-being.
- High Quality phonic teaching secures the skill of word recognition.
- Once mastered, enables children to read fluently and automatically.
- Once children are fluent readers they are able to concentrate on the meaning of the text.
- Move from learning to read to reading for pleasure and purpose.
- Teaches skills for spelling – being a resilient speller